Version 1.0?? After almost 4 years?

Version numbering is a rather subjective thing. PDFStitcher uses semantic versioning, with the 0.x versions meaning that the software is still in development. Finally, I think it’s stable enough to call it version 1.0 as I focus my attentions elsewhere and move into “maintenance mode”.

What’s new?

There’s a few changes that took a lot of effort, but aren’t really visible. Here’s a summary:

Changes behind the scenes

  • Extensive refactor - This is a thing where a lot of code is rearranged and rewritten, but there shouldn’t be a lot that’s changed in terms of functionality. I did this to make the code more maintainable and testable (and finally added some tests!).
  • Expanded command-line interface - Currently the CLI is pretty functional for page tiling, but does not yet handle line property modifications.
  • Migrated from PyInstaller to Nuitka - this should make the macOS app launch much faster, and the Windows app is a bit smaller. It should also trigger fewer antivirus complaints on Windows.
  • macOS Notarization - I am no longer an “unidentified developer”! Security exceptions should no longer be necessary (though you will still need to acknowledge that you downloaded the app from the internet).
  • Updated PDF backend - I’ve updated to PikePDF 9.0, which fixes the encryption bug from a while back, makes a few operations faster, and adds on increased compatibility with weird documents.

Changes to functionality

  • Compatibility with large canvas files - there were some lingering issues related to files > 200” that should now be resolved.
  • Edit line properties without layers - you can now apply blanket line property modifications to files without layers. Weird things might happen, but you can do it.
  • UI clarifications - Unchecking the “Tile pages” or “Process layers” boxes on the Options tab will grey out the associated tabs to make it more clear that they’re not being applied. By default, A0 or similar size files have the “Tile pages” unchecked, while documents without layers have the “Process layers” unchecked. Additionally, the page range on the Options tab has more descriptive text.
  • Rotation bug fix - Sometimes PDF pages have a rotation value defined. I was rotating the wrong direction - this has now been fixed. It only really comes up when specifying different left/right or top/bottom trim values for pages with inherent rotation.
  • Additional translations - Some very patient Weblate users added or improved translations for Swedish, Turkish, Italian, Czech, Hindi, and Polish! There’s a few new strings that need translating, but I will do my best to keep the translations up to date.

What’s next?

A lot has changed since I started this project at the end of 2020. Pattern designers have increasingly been making fantastic projector patterns, Inkscape now imports PDF layers into separate groups, and new software like Pattern Projector and Project&Cut make working with projector files so much easier. PDFStitcher is no longer as necessary as it once was, and I am thrilled to see it becoming obsolete.

I will continue to maintain the software, fixing bugs and incorporating translations, perhaps making small improvements here and there. However, I do not plan to add significant new functionality, as I intend to focus my attentions elsewhere, like my long-term goal of a common sewing pattern file format that expands on SVG or PDF to include pattern specific metadata, easier editing, ownership and provenance information, and more. You can read more about this dream in my speculative paper here, presented at the 2023 Document Engineering Symposium.

Get the latest version

Download for Windows

Download for Mac (Intel)

Download for Mac (M1/M2/M3)

You can report bugs through the bug tracker, comment on the Facebook post in Projectors for Sewing, leave a message on this post, or email me with feedback.

Finally, you can always check out the release on GitHub for all the overwhelming details.


Leave a comment